|paper mill and grinding mil
|Vereniging De Zaansche Molen
|Abel van Loenen
|Aan de Weelsloot, ten oosten van Het Prinsenhof in Westzaan
The latest addition to De Zaansche Molen is De Jonge Dirk. The mill began its existence as Indies Welvaren at Het Blauwepad in Zaandam. Mr. Heikebertus Schoe designed and built the mill himself, a remarkable and special achievement, especially given the fact that Schoe was not a millmaker. Initially the mill was used as a spice mill. In 1914, Schoe mechanized the mill. After his death, Indies Welvaren fell into disrepair.
From 1958 Indies Welvaren is located in Westzaan, where the mill was brought back to life under the name De Jonge Dirk.
The machine part was transferred to De Huisman, who has been at the Zaanse Schans since 1955.
De Jonge Dirk is a small but versatile mill. Besides De Jonge Dirk, the meadow polder De Zwaan stands on the Island since 1975. This mill drains a ditch on the island.
From 1981 the mill was owned by Hessel de Vries. After his death De Zaansche Molen took over the island from the De Vries family with the mills De Jonge Dirk and De Zwaan.
More history: Click here